Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Random things I've already noticed about the UK.....



1. Everyone has a scooter ! I've never seen so many people driving around on a scooter, as specially in December. While I was on the bus to my campus from the airport I was watching this person on a scooter weave in-and-out of traffic like he ( I just assume it was a guy) was filming the "Biker Boyz" Sequel, the UK version and I am thinking to myself, this must be one cocky dude who just don't give a f***. He was cutting people off like it was nothing. I'm like if this was DC he woulda been got hit or flipped the the bird or something, but Naw it was a young lady driving the scooter and all the people she cut off didn't seem to mind or was just use to it.


2. London is definitely not for the claustrophobic. It is a lot more compact than the US, well at least from what I seen so far. The cars are smaller and the streets are really narrow. I think people just like to be close to each other here in general.

3. So the sinks here have a separate hot water and cold water fountain....So what do you do if you want warm water? I don't have the slightest clue, I'll let you know when I find out.

4. The streets here are definitely not like your typical city. They don't go north - south like most cities. These streets curve and whine in a types of directions. On top of that, there aren't any street poles. It took me like three days before I realized that all the streets signs were on the side of buildings, and fences.

5. The cars drive on the opposite side of the road. Probably not a big deal to most people right?....Wrong, I never realized how natural it is to look in a certain direction when crossing the street until I got here and always end up looking the wrong way. I saw this random statistic on how the leading cause of injury to most tourist in the UK was car related and I really didn't pay it any attention. Like you gotta be stupid to get hit by a car....... Well after almost being hit by a car like 5 times, I look in every possible direction before I cross now.

No comments: